First of the ‘Firsts’

It was Mags’ birthday on Thursday. The first of the ‘firsts’. Our little family had a special tea together. The grandchildren had baked for Nanny and were united in their knowledge that Nanny wouldn’t have wanted any sad faces on the day. So we kept it light, raised a glass and held Mags close, each in our own way.


These ‘firsts’ are going to be tough but I’ve made it a point to steer clear of grief counselling, just as I’ve given articles and self-help books on the subject a wide berth. Frankly I would find immersing myself in so many shared experiences all at once totally overwhelming. I find the collective kindness of friends who have faced grief in their own lives to be a most effective salve.


Having said all that, I did watch the Richard Coles documentary about bereavement, recently shown on Channel Four, optimistically entitled ‘Good Grief’. In the programme he embarked on a “personal grief voyage”, trying all manner of activities from laughter yoga to surfing, boxing and group discussion. I couldn’t really relate to much of the content but, as is often the case, one thing did stick. A woman at a retreat for widows spoke about the emotions that rush at you simultaneously. The tension between the acute sense of loss and coming to terms with an uncertain, yet undeniable future. A friend on the other side of the world (you know who you are) highlighted this very thing to me, based on her own experience. It’s the thing I’m finding most difficult. Trying to get my head around what kind of future awaits is constantly pulling against deep personal loss. It’s this tension that so often results in periods of paralysis. The panic inducing sensation of being stuck, all emotions on hold. Can’t laugh or cry even though the urge to do both is strong. But expression will have its way. Today, unexpectedly, while watching the harrowing ‘Five Days at Memorial’ (AppleTV) I wept openly. A TV dramatisation I know, but an account of terrible and tragic loss all the same. The pressures and dilemmas faced by those human beings who suddenly found themselves making life and death decisions in unimaginable circumstances.


Grief: “intense sorrow, especially caused by someone’s death”, according to the dictionary - or - Grief: a long and difficult journey during which most people pass the time reliving fond memories, trying not to let the sadness become suffocating, while all the time contemplating their own mortality, according to my experience so far.

Comments

  1. Contemplating one's own mortality certainly plays a part. I hope you are still talking to Mags . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki I talk to Mags constantly. (Martin)

      Delete
  2. It's a conflict of emotions which we can't imagine and yet we go through them, get through them - and come out the other side - stronger? Not sure about that (even now).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sometimes we subconsciously hold in our emotions, especially if they are extreme. I have found myself in floods of tears during the relaxation session at the end of a yoga class (twice actually, years apart) and when I told a friend, who's a clinical psychologist he said a really good cry was marvellous for you and some people have therapy for years before they are able to allow themselves to. So I’m glad you had a good weep and you may find when the tears come they come all the time for a while. You are actually counselling yourself and therapying yourself, with the love of your family helping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a bit inadequate as I can't think of anything to say which would be of help, but just wanted you to know that I sympathise with your situation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

After Mags

A Baggy Fit